As we continue to work towards creating more diverse and inclusive workplaces and communities, it is essential that we as Leaders, understand the concept and importance of intersectionality.
Intersectionality acknowledges that individuals have multiple identities that intersect and interact with one another, such as race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, and socio-economic status.
Embracing intersectionality in the workplace means acknowledging the intersecting identities of your employees and their different experiences, understanding how this impacts their work-life, and using these insights to create an inclusive work environment.
- Are you delivering truly person-centred support and care in your workplace?
- Are your team aware of the importance of embracing ‘intersectionality’ in how you design and deliver services for your clients and/or beneficiaries?
Join Kylie van Luyn in this insightful NPA Keynote session on ‘Understanding and embracing Intersectionality in the workplace’. Kylie further defines Intersectionality as:
” .. a way of seeing or analysing the dynamics of power and social inequality in our society. It can be described in different ways: as a theory, an approach, a lens, a framework and so on”
The session will focus on:
- Strategies for creating an inclusive workplace that recognises and celebrates diversity and intersectionality.
- Best practices for fostering psychological safety in the workplace; and why it is critical for employers & employees alike.
- Understanding why intersectionality is critical in human services design & delivery.
“We live in a diverse and complex world, where each person has a different story, background, culture and life experiences, making them unique and authentic. Yet, in this world of diversity, we are all bound together by the shared ideal to reach our true potential and the need to belong and feel understood.
By understanding intersectionality it allows us to create psychologically safe ‘places’ that are welcoming and supportive for everyone, regardless of their background or identity.
About Kylie van Luyn
Kylie is an experienced consultant and Executive with over 14 years’ of experience coaching & working with people from diverse and disadvantaged backgrounds. She is passionate about working with organisations to develop sustainable business strategies and foster workplace diversity, equity and inclusion, and psychological safety.
Kylie has spent her career working to empower women, disengaged young people, people with disability, people from refugee and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Kylie has coached & consulted widely to clients across a variety of industries in Australia and internationally and has a passion for social justice and social impact.
Kylie and her teams at Elevated Coaching & Consulting Global work with leaders and employees across the public, private and Non-Profit worlds to maximise social impact and achieve “doing well by doing good”. Kylie is also an NPA Alumuni.
- Date: Thursday 4th May 2023
- Time: 12.00pm – 1.00pm
- Location: Christies Conference Space, 100 Walker Street, North Sydney |or via Zoom
- FREE for NPA members (NPA Leadership HUB; Coaching; Associate Members only)
- $49 for Guests/ Non-members
- REGISTER/ purchase your tickets below. We look forward to you joining us.
FIND OUT MORE about The NonProfit Alliance leadership programs. Book a chat with Carmel or visit our website for further information.